This Blog Has Been Glanced at This Many Times:

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"Get Smart" Pic and New Info



Well here it is. Carell as Maxwell Smart and Hathaway as Agent 99. I admit I expected Carell to be more made up. He looks a little too..."The Office" than he does Max Smart.
Peter Segal announced that while the original show was a satire on the Cold War, this movie will be a satire that shows, "the disconnect between government agencies as we saw right after 9/11 when the CIA and FBI weren't really communicating."

The films' story centers on Max Smart trying to stop KAOS, (the villianous agency from the original show) which is threatening the United States to give away launch codes for nuclear weapons to "bad guys". The movie is also the origin story of Smart and how Agent 99 teaches him the ropes.

I hope this ends up well. I don't really like the whole origin story angle. I don't recall the show all that well, but wasn't part of the humor the fact that Max is suppose to be this "expert" and Agent 99 ends up bailing him out of everything? Well, I like the casting and it has potential. But my expectations for it just dropped a few notches. The story "sounds" too dark; but I can see that being fixed up... Of course, "Stranger Than Fiction" and "Thank You for Smoking" were dark, but also two of the funniest movies in awhile. I'll cross my fingers.

No comments: