This Blog Has Been Glanced at This Many Times:

Monday, April 28, 2008

"Dark City" Director's Cut Coming Soon

Surprising news really. One of my all-time favorite science fiction films, "Dark City," is getting rereleased with new footage, new music and new special effects. The movie is one of my favorites-- Definite proof that you can still create amazing sci-fi without being an action movie. Director Alex Proyas ("The Crow") has enough talent that he deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt on this project. However, what's wrong with the original movie?

The lack of CGI was fine and the special effects didn't suffer at all from it. They were spectacular! The musical score was inspired and triumphant. Why replace it? As for new footage, I'm all for that, but I hope it's nothing that will lengthen the individual scenes. The break-neck speed the films' edits sets the perfect tone for the movie. The pacing doesn't need to be slower.

But now I'm just speculating like the fanboy I am. Perhaps the additions will actually be good for the movie. Unlikely, but I'll keep an open mind for this one. The Director's Cut of "Dark City" will be available on DVD and Blueray July 29th.

No comments: