This Blog Has Been Glanced at This Many Times:

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Most Pointless Sequel Ever: Donnie Darko 2.



I thought "28 Weeks Later," a planned "Gladiator" sequel and "Rambo" were pointless. This, however, wins the award.
A sequel to the 2001, smash cult-film hit, "Donnie Darko" is now in production. Is Richard Kelly, director of the first film, involved with it? Absolutely not. In fact, he has no say, no idea and no voice in it whatsoever. It sounds like this thing was greenlit without him even knowing about it.

The new film is entitled "S. Darko." It takes place seven years after Donnie's death and his little sister, Samantha, goes on a road trip to L.A. with a friend while being haunted by strange visions. Must run in the family.

TV director Chris Fisher is at the helm of this project. He has stated, "I am a great admirer of Richard Kelly's film and hope to create a similar world of blurred fantasy and reality."

Well... Okay. There's a deep, dark, secret part of me that's kind of excited and wants this movie to be good. I think every Donnie Darko fan wants it to be good. But common sense says otherwise. No Richard Kelly? Now listen to me, I'm complaining that there's no Richard Kelly attached to this project. The simple fact that a sequel is being made to "Donnie Darko" is jarring enough. Oh, I'm sure I'll end up seeing it, but "S. Darko"? Really? Really? Let this be a lesson. "Originality," by moviemaking definition, comes in multiples.

No word on a release date yet, but filming starts next week. I'd guess an early 2009 release is likely.

No comments: