This Blog Has Been Glanced at This Many Times:

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Two-Face's Official End

SPOILER ALERT: If for some reason beyond human understanding you have not seen "The Dark Knight" and do not want to be spoiled, do not read this.

There seems to have been a lot of confusion based on the ending of "The Dark Knight." The incredible film left some fanboys believing that the film's hero-turned-antagonist was still alive after Batman crashed in to him to save Gordon's son.

For those hoping Two-Face's death was a cover-up and he may appear in the next film, buckle up-- Cause he ain't getting up according to Aaron Eckhart. Superherohype ambushed him at a premiere for the following scoop:

CS/SHH!: Is Harvey Dent alive?
Aaron Eckhart: No. He is dead as a door nail.

CS/SHH!: So he's not coming back?
Eckhart: He ain't coming back baby!

CS/SHH!: I was hoping he would.
Eckhart: No. I asked Chris [Nolan] that question and he goes, "You're dead" before I could even get the question out of my mouth. "Hey Chris, am I?" "You're dead!" Alright, cool.

CS/SHH!: That's not a problem in comic book movies. You could still come back.
Eckhart: I think in contract negotiations it's a problem.

CS/SHH!: So you were never signed on for another film?
Eckhart: No, I'm not coming back. I think unfortunately, Heath [Ledger] was supposed to go on and that didn't work out. I'm nobody. I'm a cog. I have no say over this sort of stuff. I'm sure that there's so many other characters that they could whip together. I heard Angelina Jolie was going to be Catwoman or something like that. I thought that was a great idea. I'd like to be in that one.

CS/SHH!: It must be gratifying that so many people responded to your character.
Eckhart: Yeah, I dig it. Write your Congressman. I like that for the first time in my career I'm getting fan mail from kids and 8-year-olds. "My name is Bill. I really liked the film." I've never had that before. I think that's fun. I think someone told me they're going to be Harvey Two-Face for Halloween which is cool. I said to two kids the other day, "Did you see Batman yet?" Then I come to find out like two seconds later they've seen it four times. People are really going back to see it. My parents saw it I think 12 [times] so far. They're sick that it's going out of the theaters.


I didn't think he was alive by the end of the movie. Frankly, I think bringing him back for a third would be a cop-out. Yes, it is sad that Two-Face didn't get a lot of screen time, but I was totally happy that his character was fulfilled. (Which is far more than I can say for Venom in "Spider-Man 3.") I'm very much okay that he's gone for good.

No comments: