This Blog Has Been Glanced at This Many Times:

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hollywood Decides to Basterdize "The Host"

Paint me skeptical and label me angry, because this is just too absurd. "The Host," a film that was only released last year in America and was originally released in 2006, will be remade for American audiences. Gore Verbinski ("Pirates of the Caribbean") will be producing with a couple of nobodys set to write (Mark Poirer) and direct (Frederik Bond).

Fredrik Bond has been praised as one of "The World's Hottest New Directors" by Campaign Magazine and has received extreme praise for his work in advertisements and a music video for "Moby." They're still not quite the credentials I'm looking for to direct-- Sorry, to remake a movie as fine as "The Host." I'm not convinced.

At this point I don't care who's directing it. "The Host" is a powerful satire and a beautiful movie about a dysfunctional family come together. Never mind the simple fact it is also one of the greatest modern monster movies out there.

This isn't the first time this has happened. It's been a popular thing to remake recent, successful Asian cinema and dumb it down for American audiences. Don't believe me? Think this comment is a cliche? Watch "The Grudge" and then watch the original version, "Ju-on." The scares may be the same, but one is far more complex than the other-- Guess which? I'm not bitter. I'm just right. Leave "The Host" alone.

No comments: