This Blog Has Been Glanced at This Many Times:

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Danny Elfman Takes Over Terminator's Sound

Danny Elfman (Beetlejuice, Batman, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Spider-Man) has been hired to score "Terminator Salvation." Though the composer only started recently, he has stated that the original Terminator theme by Brad Fiedel has not yet been incorporated in to the mix:

“I think if it comes up and it seems appropriate, we will [use it],”
Elfman said. “And if it doesn’t, we [won't]. I never really know what to expect when I begin other than just kind of get into it and have fun. Especially a movie like “T4” – just have fun. So that’s what I intend to do.”

That's not exactly the philosophical take on scoring a movie I normally enjoy-- Like from Hans Zimmer for example. Elfman is a fine composer, a really gifted man. His many themes have been iconic. However I'm not sure he's the right man to score a Terminator movie. I understand this movie is going in a different direction, but after Brad Fiedel's magic with some gorgeous synthesizer and Bear McCreary's pounding and subtle strings in "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" Elfman may be a bit too much for the franchise. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm not necessarily disappointed about this decision, but I remain cautiously optimistic about the film's score until I hear it for myself.

Whatever happens, the original Terminator theme MUST be a part of the film somewhere. It's like a James Bond movie with the James Bond theme. You just don't break that kind of rule. It's as iconic as the movie itself.

No comments: