This Blog Has Been Glanced at This Many Times:

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Mummy Returns...Again.

Looks like Rick and Evie are back for more fun. Steven Sommers, who directed the first two Mummy films, is passing his chair to Rob Cohen ("Dragonheart", "The Fast and the Furious", "Stealth") to direct the thrid Mummy. It will be written by Al Gough and Miles Millar.
Plot details involve a "new concept" (whatever the hell that means...) and will include the grown son of Rick (Brendan Fraiser) and Evie (Rachel Weisz). The film will also dig up a new Mummy. I think that's a pretty good idea in itself. Imhotep is long gone thanks to the second film and we've done about everything that can be done with his character. Lets see a new mummy. And no Scorpion King crap!
I gotta say I loved the first film a great deal and while the second one was way over-the-top and just downright silly, it was so much fun to watch. They're some of the most entertaining movies out these days and I'd love to see another one. My main fear is that it'll go from really campy fun, to just flat out bad. "The Mummy Returns" was goofy, but watchable. Rob Cohen's movies are becoming less and less watchable with each one he makes. He hasn't done anything decent since "Dragonheart" and "Stealth" is one of the worst films to grace the screen. I hope he delivers a movie worth watching. Frasier and Weisz are in talks for the movie now. I hope they sign on, I love those two characters. They better get John Hannah to play Johnathan as well! You can't have a Mummy film with out Evie's doppy brother.

No comments: