This Blog Has Been Glanced at This Many Times:

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Arnold... Are You In "Terminator Salvation" or Not?

This struck me as both amusing and curious. Director McG and crew have been bombarded by different media fronts with questions regarding the Governator's cameo in the new movie. Apparently he agreed to be in the movie as long as he didn't have to perform.

No. There's no typo in the sentence above. This is true. As rumored awhile back the idea for the original Terminator's cameo is to digitally graph Arnold Schwarzenegger's face over another actor who is portraying the T-800 sent back in time to kill his mother.

“I made it very clear that I don’t have the time to do the movie… I said that I would be willing to be in the movie if they get the technology together, and so they are working on that right now.” Says Schwarzenegger.

According to McG, the crew is still having a hard time getting it to look right. After all, it needs to look pretty seamless to buy. I remember Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's CGI cameo in "The Mummy Returns" quite vividly and that was a terrible attempt at recreating a person. I hope the technology is there because, while I'm sure the movie would be fine without an appearance from Schwarzenegger, the Terminator movies have a legacy of pushing the envelop of special effects. (At least T1 and T2 did.) I feel it would be kind of a shame if "Terminator Salvation" didn't go the full stride to show how weak "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" really was.

In the meantime we have the fantastic episodes from "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" to tied us over. Yes, I know season 2, and maybe even the entire series, is over, but Hulu is an amazing thing. Am I right?

I'm looking forward to "Terminator Salvation." I just hope what we've seen and heard thus far isn't too good to be true.

No comments: