This Blog Has Been Glanced at This Many Times:

Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Chronicling" The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Ode to the Fans

This is a very special post—Aside of my reviews I don’t often take a lot of time to paraphrase my thoughts. (Ala, the two posts beneath this one.) Furthermore, I rarely post anything about television series. And, once again, it has to do with a cancelled show.

I’m fully aware my vain attempt to save “The Dead Zone,” was, at best, half-assed because of a rather unorganized and undedicated fan base. Furthermore, it was clear “The Dead Zone” had run its course and should’ve stopped after its third season.

This series, however, is a very different matter. “The Sarah Connor Chronicles” (TSCC) was cancelled far too early. Although some may consider the jaw-dropping, beautiful ending as the prelude for the 1984 film, “The Terminator,” others refuse to accept that as the finale. Because of this attitude, the show has now become a literal symbol of its powerful message of hope.

Fans, far and wide, beyond oceans and through computers, have band together to strive for a continuation of one television’s greatest and most ambitious series. Putting the series’ “no fate” message to the test, the TSCC fan base has grown in to a massive force that has guaranteed being noticed. So, what has taken place? How are they so strong?

To summarize: $3,500 was raised to cart a mobile billboard around Warner Brothers-ville and see if they get a clue. The TSCC-mobile will ride to its mission on September 22nd the day Season 2 comes to DVD/Blu Ray. Another $2,530 was raised to deliver an ad before movies in select theaters. Now I keep saying “raised.” Who raised it? Remarkably, the fans. Fans have been raising money, ordering custom stickers, USB drives that look like a terminator CPU, writing letters…etc… to make it all happen. It really makes me wonder, if the TSCC fan base is this strong, how did the show get cancelled? How accurate were those ratings? Have you been paying attention Fox?

So where is this going? Recently, rumors have surfaced about a possible direct-to-DVD movie. Thomas Dekker, who played John Connor better than any actor before or after him (as much as I love Bale), recently commented on the possibility of a direct-to-DVD flick. This is what I was banking on/hoping for from the beginning. I understand some fans are still hooked on grabbing a season 3 instead of a direct-to-DVD movie, but even if it is the only thing we get would that not still be a success? Can’t we get closure? Now, I am, by no means, saying fans should simply settle for something they don’t want. I respect the TSCC fanbase too much for that and am ever so proud to be a part of such a vastly armored community. But, thinking realistically, I hope more and more fans pursue the idea of a DVD film and fuel more fire behind the rumors to get some Warner Brothers execs’ heads turned. Who knows where it could lead?

Now, for the non-believers: Can it work? I'll make this answer simple. If Star Trek, Firefly, Family Guy, Futurama, Jericho, Arrested Development (movie pending) and Sliders (for the most part) have taught me anything, it's that fan outcry can be quite powerful. Now factor in the absurdly loud demand for TSCC. Case closed.

That said I hope some of the other, few readers I have here will take this series and its possible resurrection to heart. I merely mean this to be a love letter to the “big push” for more TSCC, which starts tomorrow, Sept. 3rd. (See www.savethescc.com for more details.)

“The Sarah Connor Chronicles” was, undoubtedly, one of the most beautiful series I’ve seen come to life. Initially turning my nose up at the show was very premature of me and I was very happy to eat my words and be rewarded with, arguably, the strongest piece in the Terminator franchise. To any and all, thank you for reading. To the fine staff at savethescc.com, the best of luck and I offer my services if any are needed. (Please get in touch.) To the fans of TSCC, keep it up. Keep up the fight, the hope and fun. Truly this series has brought a lot of people together and, working externally, it may have achieved more meaning.

Season 2 of “The Sarah Connor Chronicles” is released September 22nd. Make sure you grab a copy.

And remember. “There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.” This is GMAN. Over and out.

1 comment:

RoxyB said...

That was an outstanding write-up.

It really was a beautiful show and the fans clearly feel very strongly about getting more of it I know I do). Personally, I'm not so much looking for closure as I am just looking for more. I love the characters, have enjoyed the journey and I'm simply not ready to give it up. I'm just glad so many in this fandom feel the same.